EVERYONE bloats from time to time, it’s fairly normal. It is normally just gas in your abdomen, commonly mistaken for water retention or “fluid/water weight”. Period/menstrual bloating is also VERY common in most females. A few tips to reduce bloating are:
1. Drink plenty of water. I know its the last thing you want when you are feeling bloated, but it will not make it worse I promise. Water is the body’s natural detox and cleanser...
2. Avoid constipation...(eat enough fibre daily (30g recommended), drink enough fluids and exercise regularly)
3. Allergies and intolerances to certain elements, nutrients or ingredients can be a contributing factor also. If you suspect an allergy or intolerance might be affecting your bloating/tummy, then go see your doctor for confirmation and testing. Self diagnosing yourself is highly cautioned as you may end up eliminating healthy and necessary components from your diet
4. Slow down your eating. It takes 20 minutes for your body to recognise it is full... take smaller bites, chew effectively (recommended is 20 chews per mouthful!) and savour the taste :)
5. Avoid carbonated beverages - they are full of bubbles that will make it even worse!
6. Avoid salty foods if possible
7. Limit sugar and alcohol
8. Restrain from overindulging and eating too much. Listen to your body’s biological signals, recognise when you’re full and when you’re still hungry
9. Try add protein to every meal (especially if the bloating is being caused by your menstrual cycle/period). protein is a natural diuretic (helps body discard of extra fluid)
Love and light,